Happy endings and inkling problems, Part Five

Allright, I'm gonna finish off this entry real quick so I can go take a SHOWER and follow it with a BATH and top it off by SLEEPING for a thousand years.

The dragon had woken up and we'd found out Hal's mom knew it's dad from their college days or something, so Andrew strode into the cavern and announced Hal like he were a court herald.  The rest of us walked in after him and it turns out the dragon, Graback, was actually really nice and gentlemanly, and was really jazzed to hear about how we'd killed Rigvar so he offered us a boon.  We were trying to figure out how to free him (it turns out Rigvar had chained him to the wall with magic chains -- I've heard stories that some dragons can change their shape to make them look like humans and be human-sized, so I wonder if the chains stopped him from using his magic powers too?) when Cindy got impatient, let got of Harkson (who got away safe, thankfully), and up and slammed her chard of Utgard-Loki into the chains.  The shard disappeared and so did the magic in the chains (which is weird -- we should look into just what happened there), so the Graback and Hal were able to break them.  He looked exhausted after his long ordeal, so I decided to cheer him up a bit and it seemed to work, almost a little better than I'd intended, if you know what I mean. We all said our goodbyes and then went back to MIST headquarters.

So what did I think about my first adventure as a Scion?  I'm still conflicted, I think (see how conflicted I am?).  The others are so quick to leap to violence, I'm worried I won't be able to convince them to try talking first.  I'm not against violence all the time, but I mean, can you imagine how awful it would've been if we'd run into the cavern swinging weapons and shooting guns at the dragon?  We might've killed him, or been killed, and for no reason at all.  I know you can't talk your way through everything; goodness knows it hasn't usually worked for me in the past.  But sometimes it works, and those sometimes are the most important times of all.  Graback was such a nice dragon, and it seems he was inclined to be our friend anyway.  With Hal and Cindy holding the line, we don't need to strike first to win by violence.  We have time to see if we can make an ally instead of just kill someone.  Even Harkson could've been an ally, if I had known what I was doing and we hadn't spooked him so badly.

Uhhhh, it's all so over my head.  I'm still not ready for all this talk about life and death and killing or not killing. I really just want to play my sax and hang out with my friends, come home and sleep next to someone who's good when it matters.  Oh, don't give me that look.  You know I didn't mean that lasciviously.  Though, that wouldn't hurt.

I wonder if Graback can shape-change, and is single...

No comments:

Post a Comment