Surviving the blast, Part Three

Now where was I?








Ah, yes.  Huge chunks of mountain in the air.  Images of a roiling rock flushing towards us like a tidal wave.  The tunnel ahead, altogether too far away.  My next clear memory is the cars stopping in the tunnel, the second car covered in rubble, the car with Hal's boys totally crushed.  I had a surreal moment there, until Hal intimated that they weren't dead, or if they were, they were used to it and he could bring them back.  Too weird not to be true, and it made me smile.

The others drove ahead to scout out what had happened while Hal, Cindy, and I stayed behind to clear out the second car.  It felt... impious to just leave it behind.  So, we moved the rubble by hand, Hal and Cindy tearing the rocks off, me shuffling them away.  I've mentioned how even though I'm not any stronger than I was before all this, it's easier to lift heavy things now, but it turns out that applies to more than just groceries and suitcases. Gosh do I love this perk!  Like how I'm much faster and can jump much further, it's like things like "normal-sized distances" and "lifting normal-sized stuff" just aren't supposed to matter to me anymore.  I'd almost be weirded out if it weren't so much FUN!  Like that afternoon I spent jumping back and forth across that little estuary.  It must've been 20 feet across and I was just HOPPING.

Back on topic.  After we got the car out, we caught up with the others.  They had discovered where we needed to go.  Apparently, the minions of some sort of ancient Norse supervillain have blown up the mountain to get to the evil portal through which their dark master could be reached.  These guys clearly need to get out more.  They destroyed Whittier, though, and probably most everyone in it, which counters their adorableness factor.  Hal seems pretty pissed off at them, and no one else seems in much of a forgiving mood.  I don't like their chances.

So obviously we stole a truck, rigged it with explosives, and then gave it to Cindy to drive at their base with the fuses all lit and her jumping out of it while barreling at full speed only to land on her feet.  It was clearly what anyone else would've done.  Obviously.  More on what happened next after the break.

No comments:

Post a Comment